Thank You to all who Donated
We had a successful collection of donations for the 2019 Souper Bowl of Caring and Food Drive in February. The LYO made the goal of $700.00 to give to the A.M.E.N. Food Pantry in La Grange (our county seat). With the final donations in the past week we were able to meet that goal. Here is a link to the office Souper Bowl of Caring web site.
Added to that were the in kind donations of food and other needed items for the food pantry. Approximately 60 items were also collected at MLLC in February and then brought to the food Pantry. We are very thankful for the wonderful partnership we have in the congregation as we seek to love our neighbors.
Here is the report on the Souper Bowl of Caring official web site: click link.
Again, thank you for your partnership and support of this annual event at MLLC.
As part of our Holy Week observance we celebrate the First Holy Communion for our youth. This year we have one youth who will begin participating in this wonderful Sacrament of the Church. He has participated in First Holy Communion classes during Lent this year. This included Bible Study, discussions, a “field trip” to the Sacristy (the room where the communion is prepared, and the communion vessels are stored), decorating a chalice for receiving his First Communion, videos and bread making.
The Junior High Sunday School class helped the student with the bread making. Much of the bread used for Holy Communion at MLLC is made by our youth, as well as other church members. Above is a photo of the students and their teacher preparing the bread on Palm Sunday 2014. This recipe makes a flat bread, and it is cooked almost like a pancake. Thank you Esther for teaching our youth how to make this bread for this special day. Very tasty and important ministry.
Here are the youth and the First Holy Communion student after they have sampled the finished product. Our candidate for First Holy Communion is in the red/white plaid shirt, 2nd from the right.
As part of worship on this Maundy Thursday the student will also receive a Bible from the congregation. This he will use for personal reading, Sunday School, Confirmation Class, and the like. We partner with parents in helping them to fulfill the vows they made at their children’s baptism. There is a line in the liturgy of Holy Baptism which reads, “place in their hands the holy scriptures…” At the Maundy Thursday service a Bible will be given to the parent, and then that Bible will be placed in the hands of the student. It is a loving ritual form of fulfilling this promise. Here is a photo of the Bible, next to the Baptismal Font, and with our Holy Communion banner in the background.
Click here to read more about First Holy Communion at MLLC.
Click here to see our Holy Week Schedule for 2014.
Souper Bowl of Caring
Super Bowl Weekend February 2
Remaining Collection Dates: January 26 and February 2
The Souper Bowl of Caring is an Annual Fund Raiser for the local food pantries. All proceeds will directly and exclusively support our local food pantries: Fishes and Loaves and A.M.E.N. The Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO) of Martin Luther Lutheran Church has led this effort for many years.
How to Participate
- Look for the LYO members holding the large soup pots after worship on the last weekend of January and the first weekend of February.
- Bring in monetary gifts for A.M.E.N. and Fishes and Loaves. Place these in the “Soup Pots” at the sanctuary entrances. For gifts placed in the Soup Pots, Cash or check accepted. Make checks payable to: MLLC LYO; memo line: Souper Bowl. No amount is too small or too large.
- You may give using a designation on your regular offering envelope – note: Souper Bowl.
- All gifts will be processed by the LYO and forwarded to the two recipient groups.
- If you will not be able to attend worship on the designated dates, or you simply forget to bring something to give on those dates, feel free to mail your Souper Bowl of Caring gifts to the church office by February 9.
The LYO has Big Plans to help our neighbors in need:
- Our goal is to meet or exceed last year’s total.
- We have been generous here at Martin Luther over the years. This is our recent history:
In 2013 we collected $637.74
In 2012 we collected $233.00
In 2011 we collected $176.35
In 2010 we collected $156.17.
- This is a nationwide effort. In 2013, $7,481,495 was generated by 8,118 groups across the USA!
- The official web site is: http://www.souperbowl.org
The Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO) of Martin Luther Lutheran Church will present their annual Christmas Play on Sunday, December 22, at the 9 a.m. worship service. They have been working hard for several weeks to prepare this annual treat for the congregation. In the past this play has been presented on Christmas Eve at our Candlelight Service. We changed the time and day for this play this year so more of our youth could participate. We look forward to your presence at worship on Sunday as we hear the Word of God through this play, and as we receive the love, forgiveness and holy presence of Jesus Christ in the Holy Communion. Come on out and support our youth this Sunday, December 22 at 9 a.m.